This is the Ajatt-Tools Resources List. With the help of our community we've gathered the links to help you in your Japanese studies. We prioritize libre software and content that you can download for free. Everyone is welcome to suggest more resources in our chat.
- Ajatt-Tools JP1K Anki deck
- Kanjidamage. The best mnemonic-based method of learning kanji in isolation.
- Kanjidamage+ reference. KanjiDamage+ kanji list on a single web page.
- RTK search. Kanji characters with Koohii stories.
- Ankidrone Starter Pack
- Ankidrone Sentence Pack
- Core 2.3k
- Core 6k/10k vocabulary reference
- Core 10k Anki deck
- Tae Kim's grammar guide. A guide to Japanese grammar. It breaks down Japanese in a logical and straightforward way and covers all the basics without going into too much detail.
- Dictionary of Japanese Grammar Reference. An online reference of the seminal A Dictionary of Japanese Grammar book series.
- JLPT Grammar List. Covers grammar for all JLPT levels.
- 問題検索室. Search JLPT questions by keyword.
- JTest4You. Practice tests and resources by JLPT levels.
- JLPT文法解説まとめ. Introduces you to grammar patterns that exist in JLPT. This site is much better than the rest and probably the best free way to learn grammar used in the JLPT exam.
Sometimes you might find yourself in a situation where you want to add a word to your SRS but the example sentence you've found the word in is too complicated or you've lost it because you forgot to save it. In such cases sites with example sentences come to rescue.
- Massif. Allows you to search over 30 million unique Japanese sentences.
- Sentence Search
- Weblio英語例文検索. Made for Japanese people learning English but can be used in reverse.
- Forvo. Has many words pronounced in isolation but not so many sentences.
- YouGlish for Japanese
Avoid Tatoeba example sentences (the ones Jisho suggests). Many of them come from non-native speakers.
Don't use streaming sites and sites for reading manga online if possible. Always download what you consume. Storing immersion material locally makes mining substantially easier.
Nyaa. A torrent site with anime, manga, light novels and Japanese dramas. Contains 98% of what you need to actually learn Japanese.
Unfortunately, Nyaa is blocked in some countries, and because there's no Tor address, and they block all Tor access, we have to use mirrors.
Rutracker. Another torrent site. Has lots of Japanese movies, dramas and anime. Ongoing anime gets uploaded with a noticeable delay. Refer to Nyaa first if you watch ongoings.
This site can be accessed through Tor.
Animebytes. A private tracker. Offers content similar to what you find on Nyaa ISS.
AvistaZ. A private tracker for Asian movies and TV-shows.
JPTV.CLUB. Another private tracker. You can join if you have accounts on other private trackers.
anisource. An aggregate site for high quality raws from Raws-4U, スカー Raws and Leopard-Raws.
- Animelon. Watch anime with Japanese subtitles.
- Anjsub. A site similar to Animelon.
- B9GOOD. Watch raw anime online.
- ZORO.to. Another anime streaming site. You can switch between audio and subtitle tracks in multiple languages.
- AQStream. Watch Japanese TV.
- BiliBili. A Chinese website with a bunch of TV shows.
m3uplaylist with Japanese
IPTVchannels which you can open in mpv. You can switch channels in mpv by pressing
- Japanese Youtube channels with japanese subtitles
Lets you watch a live stream with news,
To avoid running nonfree JS,
watch the stream in
mpvby creating a desktop shortcut.
- keylabo. Similarly to News24, lists a number of channels you can watch online. Unfortunately, not all of them can be opened in mpv.
- Bilingualmanga. Bilingual manga reader where you can switch from English to Japanese with furigana.
- Raw Senmanga. View raw manga online.
- Manga-zip. Manga archive.
- Rawdevart. Raw manga online.
- 同人あんてな. Free eromanga and doujinshi.
- raw-cans. This website has scans of a lot of manga, as well as shounen jump, young jump and other manga magazines.
- Itazuraneko 漫画.
- zlibrary. A library with books in any language. Has a clearnet version.
- 小説を読もう！. Lets you read web novels for free.
小説を読もう！. Search and read web novels online.
- 青空文庫. An Internet library of classic Japanese literature.
- Aozora Bunko archive.
Books from Aozora Bunko in
- Aozora Bunko stats. Books sorted by the number of kanji used.
- DL-Zip.net. Download manga, light novels, magazines and books for free.
You may need a Japanese IP address for some of these.
- Xavier's Retimed JP Sub Pack
- Jpsubbers drama subtitles
- Subtitles by BritVSJapan
- Nekomoe Kissaten
- This gist
- Anki A free/libre flashcard application.
- Sxiv. An image viewer perfect for reading manga.
- zathura. A minimalistic document viewer. Can be used to read novels.
- foliate. A simple and modern eBook viewer. Package.
- impd. Create condensed audio and automatically rotate your mpd playlist.
- Trackma. Track your immersion on one of the supported sites.
- subs2srs. Takes video files and subtitle files and creates cards with screenshots and/or audio for each line in the sub file. Also useful for batch extracting audio from videos.
- Noto Fonts. Google Noto TTF fonts.
- Source Han. The Adobe-branded Source Han Sans, Source Han Serif and Source Han Code JP typefaces.
- Kanji stroke order font
- AJT archive. The fonts I use. Contains Yu Mincho, semi-cursive fonts and stroke order fonts.
mpv is the best video player for language learning.
Make Anki cards in mpv:
- qBittorrent. A free/libre torrent client alternative to µTorrent.
- Megatools. A command line client for Mega.
- youtube-dl. A command-line program that lets you download videos and audio from YouTube and more than a thousand other sites. See our setup guide.
- mangadesk. Download manga directly from your terminal.
- HakuNeko. A cross-platform downloader for manga and anime from various websites.
I urge everyone to reject mobile phones because they're surveillance tools. If you do own a cellphone, be sure to install F-Droid, which is an application catalog for libre programs. Get rid of Google Play by flashing a new ROM or by rooting your phone and deleting all Google applications.
- AnkiDroid. A free/libre flashcard application, Android version.
- Jidoujisho. A mobile video player tailored for Japanese language learners.
- VLC. A fast and user-friendly video player for Android.
- AntennaPod. A podcast player for Android.
- Audio players.
Yomichan is a browser extension that lets you easily look up unknown words.
- wadoku.de. Has pitch accent.
- 広辞苑無料検索. Allows you to search many monolingual dictionaries.
- OJAD. A pitch accent dictionary.
- 日本語俗語辞書. A monolingual slang dictionary.
Helps you decipher words partially occluded by symbols like
- ふりがな文庫. For any given word, searches through Aozora Bunko for all instances where it was used with furigana and shows the percentage of each reading. Great for when the dictionary lists multiple readings and you want to know which is dominant.
- 書き順. A website that shows you how to write a given kanji and how it looks written in different fonts.
- 漢字辞典. Monolingual kanji dictionary.
- Qolibri. A Qt-based EPWING dictionary viewer. Requires dictionary files.
A GTK2 based EPWING dictionary viewer.
Like Qolibri, EBView requires you to specify where to look for the dictionary files.
To set it up, refer to the
- Tagaini Jisho
The quality of machine translation is very low. Don't use it for anything serious. You've been warned.
- 韻律読み上げチュータスズキクン. Generate text-to-speech sentences with somewhat accurate pitch accent (don't assume it's correct).
- Japanese Accent Study Website. A useful site with pitch accent information for counters, verb conjugations, place names, surnames and Japanese celebrities.
- NHK日本語発音アクセント新辞典・付録. A scan of the NHK Pitch Accent dictionary, specifically the sections at the back (which aren't in the EPWING) that explain the theory, rules and patterns.
- 新明解日本語アクセント辞典 第2版・付録. A scan of the Shinmeikai Pitch Accent dictionary, specifically the sections at the back that explain the theory, rules and patterns.
- 京言葉. A website on Kyoto dialect.
How to learn Japanese on your own, having fun and to fluency.
- Lazy Kanji. One of the many methods of learning kanji.
- 10,000 Sentences: How. The sentence mining method Khatzumoto used for learning Japanese.
- On Grammar.
- Includes links to the Amazon website. Amazon is known for spying on and politically suppressing its users.
- Contains outdated information.
- Talks about MCD, which is a flashcard format that hasn't received much adoption over the years due to being too difficult and complicated.
- Advertises unnecessary paid products.
A site founded by a successful ajatter after becoming fluent. The method is designed to be applicable to any language.
- Recommends and includes links to proprietary spyware such as Hellotalk, Tandem, Bilingua, Netflix, Migaku, etc.
- Includes instructions on how to join their Discord server. Discord is known for spying on and politically suppressing its users.
- Collects Email addresses which is to say the least suspicious.
A collection of guides for those interested in learning Japanese.
- Includes links to nonfree software.
- Includes links to Discord servers. Discord is known for spying on and politically suppressing its users.
- Contains outdated information.
A site on how to learn English. Made by Poles who learned English to native-level fluency. What they used to learn English can be applied for learning any other language, including Japanese.
TheMoeWay and AnimeCards
Unfortunately, these two sites are clearly made with Windows users in mind, but maybe you'll find useful language learning advice there.
- The sites try to deny the importance of freedom and legitimize proprietary software.
- They include instructions for playing visual novels. Most visual novels should be avoided since they are proprietary.
- They mention software that requires proprietary operating systems to run.
- They include links to Discord servers. Discord is known for spying on and politically suppressing its users.
- Both sites recommend "anime cards". In my opinion, TSC is the most efficient way to combine Anki with immersion.
- Japanese bookmarks by pachimon
- Immersion Wiki
- Mia's Japanese quickstart guide. Her guide is a little outdated but can still be useful.
- User Uploaded Anki Decks.
subs2srsAnki decks for popular anime and movies.